Tuesday, November 30

Stream movies with a Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray


This is a Sony BDP-S370. It's a blu-ray player. It also plays DVDs, and SACDs (and normal ones) and perhaps even VCDs if anyone still has any of those. It costs around £120 and I just bought one.

I didn't buy it for any of those functions (although playing DVDs is nice since my old DVD player is dead naff), I bought it because it is a DLNA certified 'network media streamer' or whichever phrase you prefer to use to describe it. This means that if I share my folders full of videos on my home PC, then attach the blu-ray player to the network via it's RJ45 socket, I can watch all of those aforementioned videos on my big living room TV. Happy days!

Actually this isn't something new and exciting for me, I had an xbox 360 in the living room which can perform the same function. But this is a £100 box that also doubles as a super duper new fangled blu-ray player and a DVD player too. Plus it's much smaller. Plus it's much prettier. And it doesn't make any noise (well... a teeny weeny amount of noise, inaudible as far as I'm concerned). Anyone using a 360 to stream media can attest to the ridiculous volume levels you need to set to drown out the console's noisy fans.

Anyway the point of posting this is that, whilst all these sexy functions are obviously great, getting it working isn't always incredibly easy. If you are running Windows 7 on your 'server' PC, you are set. Good to go. No problems, Windows Media Player 12 will act as a DLNA server and your PC will appear in the 'network' tab on the S370's main menu (as long, of course, as you have enabled media sharing in the Network and Sharing Centre). If, however, your media server is using XP or (dare I say it..) Vista, you need a separate server application. It took a lot of goes to find one that worked (I had TVersity running when I had a 360, no go with the BR player) but I finally did and it seems entirely perfect. It is...

TVMOBiLi - tvmobili.com

Installation is simple, and setup is all via a web interface. Once you've installed it, and assuming your BR player is turned on, it should appear in the 'discovered devices' section of the status page like so.


On your S370 your computer should appear in the list of network services. Now you can navigate through all the folders you should choose to share through TVMOBiLi - simply go onto the 'settings' page in the web interface (I'd strongly recommend a bookmark / favourite for this page!) and tap in the details under 'New Directory' at the bottom. You might want to remove the default shares - the usual crap like 'my videos' etc.

After that it's time to enjoy your vast library of intellectual programming from the comfort of your sofa!

The S370 can also, should you be interested in buying one, access the BBC iPlayer service and Demand Five. Oddly enough the Demand Five service is the faster and more easy to use of the two, but regardless of that just having them directly on the TV rather than using a computer is an excellent feature. It also supports several other 'on demand' services dependant on geography, I'm obviously using mine in the UK. It's well worth a hundred quid (£120 at time of going to press, sorry looks like I got a bargain!) of anyone's money.


The steps above will also apply to users of the BDP-S570 (flash gits) and any Bravia television sets with DLNA capabilities.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:15 am

    TV Mobili looks interesting, will give it a go. PS3MS is reliable but irritating as hell to configure for use as a service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:45 am

    Hello,
    When you set up DLNA with TVMobili could you watch videos on your Sony S370? If so, what kinds of video and did you have to change any settings on your Sony BDP? I have a Sony BDP-S570 and am streaming from a WinXP TVMobili server but can only access mp3's and jpegs, no videos of any formats.

    Thanks,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything indeed worked on the s370, else I wouldn't have recommended it! Mostly xvid/divx avi's. MKVs won't work as far as I can tell.

    Your setup is almost identical to mine. I don't want to mention embarassing suggestions like are you navigating through the movie menu on the sony... have you shared folders containing videos...

    Do you see 'TVMOBiLi' on the videos tab on your Sony at all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the S370 hooked up to my MAC running TVMobili. I can stream pretty much anything too it, including MKv files and the usual avi, mpeg, and even m2ts. It's great and the BBC iPlayer streaming in HD is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bet that doesn't make poor old remark8 feel any better... hehe :X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:30 pm

    Thanks for your sony BDP article, which has provided me with much hope. The part I would love explained is, how did you get the BDP to read content from your PC? What did you do after you ran the DLNA server on your PC?
    You can catch me at blogcatalog (dot) com. Username crazytsu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually I've found that with the latest versions of TVMOBiLi (or other evolved packages) it generally 'just works'(TM). Even windows 7 does a pretty good job as long as you follow their folder structures (or change your media player library settings).
    If you mean how do you see them, on the sony scroll along to your 'movies' section and the TVMOBiLi server will appear in the vertical list (along with bluray and all the online options).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great article segah . For those who live outside US like me, you can access Netflix, Hulu and similar media stations on your Sony Blu Ray Player Player by using UnoTelly or similar tools.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.