Wednesday, January 4

Find the best wireless channel for your network

Got myself a new 'n' router as a late Christmas present / new year sales treat, and decided I should try to get the best reception around the house possible. There are many other wireless networks in range, since I live in a small apartment block right next to another small apartment block.

Net Stumbler was the old preferred program but it's starting to creak with age now. inSSIDer is a nicer looking and feeling program with just as much usefulness.



I only wish I had checked before, and I would have put special attention to buying a 'dual mode' router that could operate in the 5GHz spectrum. No-one else seems to be using it at all, which would have been great (although the range is lower when using 5GHz).

Anyway, channel 11 seems a favourite around here. So I switched to channel 1.


If I said the difference was in any way noticeable I would be lying. But it can't be a bad thing, can it?

inSSIDer - worth a download if only to give credit to the clever name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.